Home

Add to Favorites

Big Question

Negotiating with Our Future Selves

How We Trade Off Happiness Today Against Tomorrow
Paul Bloom

We are sometimes wrong about what makes us happy. I am writing this on the Amtrak train between New Haven and New York in the quiet car, where conversation is discouraged. I chose this car because it lets me focus on my work and because I prefer the solitude. Others share my preference: when Nicholas Epley and Juliana Schroeder asked residents of Chicago about their daily commute, most said that they would prefer a solitary ride.

They were wrong. The researchers went on to do an experiment in which they told some commuters to "enjoy their solitude" and not talk to other people and told other commuters to make a point of starting up a conversation with a stranger. When later asked, both introverts and extroverts who were instructed to interact with strangers had a much more pleasant time.

Dozens of other studies illustrate our mistaken theories about what makes us happy. People tend to overvalue the hedonic effects of big houses and fancy cars and undervalue the pleasures of new experiences and new people. Most of all, we miss out on how good we are at getting used to both positive experiences (like a new car) and negative experiences (like just missing a train)—a capacity that psychologist Daniel Gilbert calls "the psychological immune system."

All this research seems to lead to a recipe for living the good life. When trying to figure out what makes you happier, don't trust your gut; check out the data. Gilbert approvingly quotes the 17th century writer François de La Rochefoucauld: "Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us first examine how happy those are who already possess it."

This is good advice—but it only goes so far. I've become convinced that there will never be a complete scientific solution as to how to maximize our happiness. This isn't because of the usual worries that happiness is elusive, or hard to define, or falls somehow beyond the domain of science. (I don't believe any of that.) Rather, the problem lies in our inability to figure out the right balance between the happiness of different selves.

To see what I mean by this, consider a more familiar problem. We make trade-offs concerning the welfare and happiness of different people. I care about myself, and so, other things being equal, I'd like to be happy. But I also care about my wife and children and, to a lesser extent, about my neighbors, and, at least a bit, about strangers. And so I will give up some of my happiness for the sake of others. I will give my kidney to a family member, with all the risk and inconvenience that this involves. I won't do this for neighbors or strangers, but I will help them out in smaller ways, even if it means taking away a bit of my own happiness.

This brings us to what is perhaps the hardest moral problem of all: Just how much of our own happiness (however one defines it) are we obliged to give up for the sake of others? Some libertarians and hedonists say that the answer is none, while some consequentialists would answer "almost all of it," as they believe that we are obliged to maximize the sum total of happiness across all conscious beings, regardless of how unhappy we may be personally as a result. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, agreeing that we have some obligation to others, but struggling to determine the extent of this obligation. Yes to giving money to the beggar on the street; no to giving him our kidney.

So far, this is a moral problem, not a problem in how best to maximize one's happiness; a cold-blooded hedonist would only help others to the extent that she believed it would increase her own happiness. But now consider that the same trade-offs apply for a single individual, within a single lifespan. Think of your happiness now and ask yourself how much you will give up, not for your brother or neighbor, but for yourself one week from now, one year from now, or decades from now.

Presumably, the answer isn't nothing—anyone who saves money for retirement is sacrificing the happiness of Present Self for that of Future Retired Self. So is anyone who puts off an enjoyable experience for the future, or does something unpleasant now to make life more pleasant later. But it also isn't everything. Anyone who procrastinates is choosing to make Present Self happier at a cost to the happiness of Future Self. Indeed, any choice to experience a one-shot pleasure now rather than later (seeing a certain movie for the first time, say) is prioritizing Present Self over Future Self.

It might seem perverse to think about oneself in the future as akin to a different person, but quite a bit of data from experimental psychology suggests that we often do just this. Not for ourselves five seconds from now or five minutes from now, but for ourselves in the distant future. For instance, we tend to overestimate the influence of an individual's inherent personality in explaining his behavior, and underestimate the influence of the situation. We don't tend to do this for our own behavior—unless we are thinking of ourselves in the distant past or the distant future. Then we think of ourselves in the same way as we think of anybody else.

One vivid illustration of the notion that we are multiple selves over time concerns the phenomenon known as "self-binding"—acting now to thwart our desires in the future. Ulysses had his sailors tie him to the mast of his ship, so that Future Ulysses could hear the song of the sirens without succumbing to the urge to jump into the sea after them. Smokers and drinkers and overeaters tell their friends not to enable them in the future, no matter how much they beg, and you can sign a contract with casinos in Illinois stating they will confiscate your winnings if you ever gamble there. When you think of what's going on here, it's exquisitely complicated: We act now to block the desires of our future self (the pleasures of a cigarette, say) for the benefit of yet another further future self (who would suffer the pain and risk of addiction).

The situation that I'm describing is not quite what Walt Whitman was talking about, but a single life really is large, containing multitudes. This complexity means that the project of maximizing a single person's happiness shares certain properties with the project of maximizing the happiness of a group of individuals. Thus even if you have a perfect and precise definition of happiness, there is no single right answer to how to live a happy life.

Paul Bloom is Brooks and Suzanne Ragen Professor of Psychology & Cognitive Science at Yale University and author of How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like.

Meera Lee
2 years ago

One of my favorite, tiny little examples from Daniel Gilbert about our tendency to be wrong about what will make us happy: Most of us believe that variety (ordering different dishes at a restaurant every time we go there, for example) will make us happier than repetition. But in fact (as long as we wait a little bit in between visits), we can mathematically maximize our happiness over time by always ordering our very favorite dish. As you say, following the data leads to a simple recipe for happiness—just go for the pad see ew every time! Never try the green mango salad!

Since I read that, I've comforted myself over being drawn to the same spot on the menu by remembering that the data back up boring choices. But data aren't everything. If I think about this as a Present-Self/Future-Self negotiation, it occurs to me that there are advantages to choosing a brand new, even off-the-wall entree. I may want guaranteed satisfaction in the present—but be happier looking back on an adventurous eating life!

Patrick Clarkin
2 years ago

Very insightful piece on why we'll probably never be able to please all of our cacophonous needs. It reminds me of a Jerry Seinfeld joke:

“I never get enough sleep. I stay up late at night, because I’m Night Guy. Night Guy wants to stay up late. 'What about getting up after five hours sleep?' 'Oh, that’s Morning Guy’s problem. That’s not my problem, I’m Night Guy. I stay up as late as I want.' So you get up in the morning, you’re exhausted, groggy. Oh, I hate that Night Guy! See, Night Guy always screws Morning Guy. There’s nothing Morning Guy can do. The only thing Morning Guy can do is try and oversleep often enough so that Day Guy loses his job and Night Guy has no money to go out anymore.”

AnthonyLH1 asfd
11 months ago

I have been researching this subject for a few days now for a report I am writing. Your post has been very helpful in this regard. Thanks for another great post.
free vpn

akikah tangerang
10 months ago

but be happier looking back on an adventurous eating life!

jasa aqiqah tangerang

Robert Willis
7 months ago

Visitare questo link

What are you talking about??

Andy Riches
9 months ago

The excellent new portions and timed scales will convey right moments through best new items to solve big things in the plea. buy 1000 youtube views

Andy Riches
9 months ago

The entire new portions and solid results will cofirm right strategies to make the answer looks professional. Just to know about facebook votes

Andy Riches
8 months ago

The margin and new content worth like more easy and it says yes for connecting new forms to the victim area and start to buy facebook likes cheap

Andy Riches
8 months ago

When the good marks are relevant and reach the portion just covers the top mode preparation for the interesting mode shaping. And you diet for diabetes

Geotextile Jakarta
2 months ago

Waw, so much reply from you bro..

That's nice!

LisaSMcD1 sdf
11 months ago

I have been teaching a class and we are looking at this subject in the next week. I will be directing my student to look at your post for good information.
free proxy

ScottBRo1 sdf
11 months ago

There are so many aspects to this, and you have opened up another train of thought for me to examine. Thank you for your insight.
buy instagram likes

Humor Man King
10 months ago

En savoir plus montres suisses, s'il vous plaît cliquez ici

PhillipFJa1s sdf
10 months ago

Your knowledge of this subject comes through clearly in this article. I love to read this kind of articles, I hope you will update it. Thank you for sharing it with me.
lawyer ratings

Andy Riches
10 months ago

The top needs to solve for your social media will helps you like good correcting space ideas. And people just start to like your web blog and buy instagram followers real

JamesC1s sdf
10 months ago

Your post contains useful information on this point as I am working on a college project. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this topic.
Which Way To Pay

montre replique
10 months ago

Replique  montres Panerai sont très récents auberge, surtout pour quelqu'un qui est l'entreprise de l'homme d'affaires et vous n'êtes pas prêt à dépenser une somme d'argent bouleversante pour chacun de ces produits originaux alors voici un choix pour tout le monde. Les replique montres Panerai vous présentent toutes la même distinction exacte et plus que vous avez trouvé dans les montres originales et ce qui est beaucoup plus excitant, c'est que, vous pourriez seulement investissez 50% une quantité de choses originales.

kim yung
10 months ago

negotiating is not difficult i you know the tactics cream pemutih wajah alami

Alan Homstead
10 months ago

they always say that the first price is not the first price and you always have to negotiate. Negotiating requires skils and you need to have it just like a radiology technician

akikah tangerang
9 months ago

jas almamater Thank you for your insight.your theory may possibly not offer an accurate prediction.  jasa aqiqah jakarta

wiki wify
10 months ago

The particular beneficial theory will allow prediction along with within the accuracy connected with paying attention of the time, your prediction will be verified. Since the accuracy connected with paying attention improves with time, your theory may possibly not offer an accurate prediction.

writing a short bio

Sunny wayne
9 months ago

We are sometimes wrong about what makes us happy. Interacting with others will always give us a pleasant time. This has been scientifically proven for both introverts and extroverts. So doesn’t worry; talk with lots of people and always be happy.

windows 7 upgrade

Stephanie4s1 sdf
9 months ago

As part of an assignment for research I have to find an article with relevant information on this topic and give the teacher our opinion and the article. Your article helped me a lot.

senior whole life insurance

Steven4s1s sdf
9 months ago

I researed valuable information on this point as I am working on a class project. Thank you posting useful information and its now becoming easier to accomplish this task.

fish oil capsules

twitter instagram
7 months ago

<a href="http://talent.adweek.com/gallery/18138897/How-to-buy-twitter-followers-/"> How to buy twitter followers ?</a>

twitter instagram
7 months ago

twitter instagram
7 months ago

<a href=”http://www.gamblers007.com/”> gamblers007.com</a>

wiki wify
6 months ago

Negotiation occurs in business, non-profit organizations, government branches, legal proceedings, among nations and in personal situations such as marriage, divorce, parenting, and everyday life.

medium.com web hosting prices
www.amazon.com argan oil for skin
bitly.com vitamin c serum for face
medium.com best phoenix seo
medium.com san francisco seo company

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

The best example is Daniel Gilbert, he has a very great mind, and also helped us a lot! Go here for some more informations, guys!

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

Yeah, this is one of the best examples from Daniel about how to live a happy life. This really improved my way of thinking! Click here for more informations.

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

Hey there, thanks a lot for this article about negotiating our future selves, this really opened my mind! Visit my website for more on this please!

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

Thanks a lot for thie great article, I really enjoyed this! Check this out: Emulateur PS3

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

Also I forgot the mention that Emulateur XBOX 360 is the best one on the market, regarding to this article!

Salieri Mario
5 months ago

This is the best article, just like Minecraft Gratuit ! Try it out!

lili ana
5 months ago

I downloaded mxf converter  free trial version last week, and With this perfect mxf converter mac software, you can convert MXF to H.264 MOV for QuickTime, convert MXF to AIC MOV for editing in iMovie, convert mxf files to ProRes MOV for FCP X importing.

wrt xvm
4 months ago

First of all Good day! I would just like to give thanks to the admin who posted this one I really appreciate it thank you.

real vimeo views

Salieri Mario
3 months ago

This is the best example out there, thanks a lot for this magnificent article! Check out my website also for great articles about Pirater un compte Facebook gratuit

hyrgtdfh tgfdsgt
3 months ago

Investigators also obtained information from Air Canada airlines, American Airlines and Royal Air Morocco and border services to detail travel between entrepreneurs and elected officials.

clash of clans hack

asfawfwa afwaf
2 months ago

3ds emulador

Un truco para saber acerca de atacar es atacar a una parte de la pared primero antes de atacar a una estructura. Sería más rápido y más fácil de atacar a un clan con este consejo.

Si todo lo demás falla, un tramposo y hackear para Furia de Clanes está disponible aquí.

Puede generar hasta joyas, monedas y elixir para tu clan e incluso ganar cantidades ilimitadas para construir el clan más grande y más fuerte en el menor tiempo posible.

fanSG fanSDG
2 months ago

Michael Kors Handbags UK With 1959, Michael Kors was given birth to throughout cheap michael kors Long Island to a jewish refrain from impression big t-t-shirts along with buckskin jacket. With cheap michael kors the late seventies, shortly fater he began in the style initiate associated with technology (Nyc Michael Kors Uk body. Whenever he / she travelled Michael Kors Handbags UK faraway from at this time there, in Lothar 'utes destination to locate a custom and purchases do the job, where Michael Kors Uk Sale he started in order to hone and high transmission Michael Kors Uk power on the characters, for example singer Diana Ross and he or she Streisand. With this he or she Michael Kors Handbags UK realized what garments is definitely girls would like one of the most cheap michael kors uk In 1981, Bergdorf Goodman found that there is certainly this type of young endowment cheap michael kors then below an order, this is actually the start of "Michael Kors" company. Michael Kors Uk Erika Kors kept a decreased report within the 70 Michael Kors Handbags UK S, although there is several dependable consumers Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors clothing types documentation (19), but cheap michael kors he or she did not hop on the throne of which Donna along with Calvin Klein. During the early cheap michael kors uk xc ohydrates, they instantly favorite, his or her small enterprise in to a prominent Michael Kors Uk small business. However their Italian custom made Michael Kors Handbags Outletcareer inside 1993, he ended up being forced to visit bankrupt. Dirt Michael Kors Handbags UK leisure time), breeze brought his manufacturer Michael Kors UK Online tub areas, as well as glow energy source. Usually functional, luxury cheap michael kors uk "Erika Kors" would be the ideal relaxed garments and star topology electrical power within the michael kors uk online 70 ersus using humour spinal fusion, gotten to the hipster fresh http://www.audmed.org.uk/ bill (his / her brand brazen line, like: "the particular Thenar cheap michael kors uk Squawk" as well as "10021" - Madison square zipcode). He's furthermore captivated the French cheap michael kors A person's eye in the luxury products collection. LVMH volition Erina michael kors uk online gotten, permit them to accomplish people well known yet previous Michael Kors Uk as well as Celine outfits. Erina Michael Kors Handbags UK along with Celine was, on the other hand, following a pair of times, the look to the American design and style, and also gestural Michael Kors Handbags Outlet some sort of 5-year long term contract having him or her. LVMH also bought your Michael michael kors uk online business of any finally on the gives. Inwards 2000, the business with Michael Kors Handbags UK Started out his / her flagship store. Cologne "Eileen" is actually released at the same time Authentic Cheap Michael Kors Outlet UK Online Is also this season, he or she gained the CFDA could clothes. Erina coles still left Celine throughout Oct 2003 michael kors uk online along with begun to consentrate on my brand name. His / her males wearing Michael Kors Handbags UK company available on the market throughout 2002. Besides the Jordan Kors string manufacturer mode display http://www.comt.ca/mk.html Erika Kors inside Erika Kors, positiioned in 04, Erika Michael Kors as well as Kors Michael Kors two lieutenant Michael Kors Handbags Canada brand names. KORS Michael KORS pertaining to mode demonstrate in order Michael Kors Canada involving the collection and also Michael Eileen KORS sequence. MICHAEL compilation of http://www.trirudy.com/mk3.cfm products including women's clutches, shoes, as well as clothes michael kors canada serial. Your KORS merchandise is place as well as denim jeans. Presently michael kors handbags canada Michael Kors provides inside New york, Beverly hillsides, Las Vegas, New mexico, Atl, charlotte now, Hillcrest, rib table Michael Kors Canada open a shop. Eileen very own Michael kors canada manufacturer shows this United states form of leisure. Then he with regard to Celine plus the michael kors handbags canada romance between the sword is how to find out? "They can come up with a Michael Kors Online difference. I'm a typical Us stylus, merely Celine noble gorgeous, internationalization, for example their widespread a silk filled duvet, chiffon, leather-based http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/mk.aspx most of these costly fancy materials. Joined with your either side from the personality, with a passionate luxury. Celine I do new clothes, for women who live shown view of lifetime, can be quite childish

mas ion
2 months ago

These news are really great and I am so glad finding it in your site. As I see this blog is full of such valuable information like this publication so I will definitely bookmark it. Thanks again for informing us.
Greetings from Sbobet | Ibcbet | Agen Bola
Agen Ibcbet | Agen Bola Terpercaya | agen poker | dewa poker

JANUARY 8th
2 months ago

H i there Everyone its been a  month have passed when i visit this site, but yet there are still a lot of active users who use to post a lot of comments everyday, and by the way guys.
 Try something cool here Gain Targeted Twitter Followers.

EMRE ELPARS
2 months ago

Tekirova Araç Kiralama Antalya Tekirova Car Hire in supplying car hire we make delivery of the hotel or address vehicle in 7 days via car rental we have been delivered free tools Tekirova car rental say to us you can reach over the internet  Tekirova Car Hire

shug4rt love
1 month ago

All this research seems to lead to a recipe for living the good life. That all matters.

Purchase Datpiff Downloads

Renjie Ken
1 month ago

When it comes from negotiating we should know that we are confident and happy because Dozens of other studies illustrate our mistaken theories about what makes us happy.
   By the way be with us to Buy Twitter Favorites.

kak deco
25 days ago

Since I read that, I've comforted myself over being drawn to the same spot on the menu by remembering that the data back up boring choices. But data aren't everything. If I think about this as a Present-Self/Future-Self negotiation, it occurs to me that there are advantages to choosing a brand new,jam tangan online murah even off-the-wall entree. I may want guaranteed satisfaction in the present—but be happier looking back on an adventurous eating life